Thursday, September 16, 2010

Jenny, don't change your number...

Everyone is so worried about their privacy these days. They don't even want to leave their name and phone number when they call 911. Fifty times per shift I get asked to "be anonymous" by people who can't even pronounce the word.

Usually, people are adamant about being anonymous if they've called about their neighbors doing drugs, or (god forbid!) playing loud music.

The number one reason people give for not wanting to give their names is because "I don't want them to know I'm the one who called!" Ok. I get that. But we don't give out your information. I really don't see why we don't. It would be great job security for us if your neighbor knifes you in retaliation for you calling the police to complain about their off-key warbling karaoke version of "Total Eclipse of the Heart".


(I know I go on and on about noise complaints on 911...but if its this bad, I'll give it to you. Sounds like an emergency to me!)

Even worse than the anonymous folks are the ones who give us a fake name. If you want me to go with it, you're gonna have to be more creative than "Jane Doe". Right. And your phone number is 867-530 niiiiiiiiine...

Rest easy folks. I promise not to call your next door neighbor and spill the beans that you are the reason their meth house got raided. Aside from being incredibly rude, its also illegal for me to share that info. Your name and phone number are only for our records. We don't sell it to telemarketers or use it to hack into your bank account. And if I have a question and have to call you back, it makes it a lot easier if I can ask for you by name. "Hi, I'm calling back from 911. Can I talk to anonymous?" It doesn't really roll off the tongue.


No comments: